New Bedford Ocean Cluster – New Bedford, MA
The New Bedford Ocean Cluster (NBOC) is a newly established 501(c)(3) non-profit organization created to serve the maritime business community in the greater New Bedford region. The NBOC’s mission is to leverage New Bedford’s coastal position, marine knowledge base, and landside capacity to drive employment and wealth creation for New Bedford residents. This shall be done through a dynamic approach combining recruitment of targeted businesses, creation of unique economic infrastructure, workforce development, and support for homegrown ocean economy companies.
The NBOC seeks to enhance the City and the Port of New Bedford’s existing strengths in maritime industries while advancing new programs, startups and technology partnerships across four pillars reflecting the blue economy:
- Commercial fishing & processing;
- Offshore renewable energy;
- Aquaculture; and
- Innovation & technology.
The NBOC is committed to sustainable industry practices whereby development in different industry areas should meet the needs of the present without compromising the capability of future generations to meet their own needs.
We are looking for an Executive Director to launch the New Bedford Ocean Cluster (NBOC). This position will report to the 11-member NBOC Board of Directors. In this role, you will establish the operations of this new organization, work with the board to set organizational goals, and lead progress towards establishing New Bedford as the leading blue economy city on the East Coast. Through the NBOC, you will support the growth of existing industries while leveraging the port’s business networks, geographic advantages, unique infrastructure, and maritime know-how to attract investment and cultivate the formation of new blue economy businesses.
In this role you will work with local and state agencies, leading national and multinational companies, and stakeholder/advocacy groups to drive economic development. Most notably, the Executive Director of the NBOC will work in close coordination with the New Bedford Port Authority (NBPA) Port Director, as the NBOC and the NBPA have a contractual relationship to assist the Port in driving and supporting the continued economic development of maritime industries in the city and region. The Executive Director will also work closely with the New Bedford Economic Development Council and MassHire New Bedford as the leading economic and workforce development agencies in New Bedford. Work will also require close collaboration with Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC) and Vineyard Wind LLC to drive development, support and regional benefits of the local offshore wind industry in the near term.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Setting up the operational needs of this newly formed non-profit (i.e. office space, communication systems, operating protocols, etc.);
- Set goals and report on success under guidance of Board of Directors;
- Manage budgets and raise funds (beyond base funding) to support NBOC’s growth;
- Define and execute strategic action plans for the commercial fishing, offshore renewables, aquaculture, and blue economy pillars;
- Work to ensure the successful coexistence of the offshore wind and fishing industries;
- Represent New Bedford’s blue economy agenda at local, regional, national, and international levels to strengthen and build key relationships;
- Engage, cultivate, and convene the extensive maritime business network in Greater New Bedford;
- Connect maritime industries with local contractors and suppliers;
- Facilitate and manage the convening of the offshore wind industry and other ocean industries in New Bedford.
The duties listed above are intended as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. Work is subject to unforeseen situations and emergencies. The Executive Director is required to frequently work outside of normal business hours and may be contacted at any time to respond to emergency or operational situations. You use judgment and ingenuity to accomplish objectives and to deal with new or unusual requirements. You have frequent contact with the public, government employees, and the media.
Qualifications and Competencies
The right candidate for this role will shall possess many or all the following:
- Relevant university degree at a bachelor’s level is required, but a master’s level is preferred;
- Strong project management, budgeting, fundraising, and administration skills and experience, specifically in the establishment of non-profit entities;
- Business development and strategic planning experience;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Comprehensive understanding of the blue economy (such as commercial fishing, offshore wind and aquaculture) in a local, regional, national, and global context;
- Five (+) years of experience in related profit or non-profit industry(ies);
- Strong knowledge of the New Bedford area and its strengths and challenges;
- Comfortable under pressure with an underlying urge for success;
- Sees the bigger picture, can spot potential problems and take the initiative to create solutions;
- Ability to work across teams and with a variety of projects and constituencies;
- Attention to detail, keeping NBOC members and stakeholders in front of mind;
- Motivated to take your career in the direction you want it to go;
- Passionate about the Blue Economy and driven to establish New Bedford as the East Coast’s Blue Economy leader.
Licenses, Training and Certifications
- Current or the ability to obtain MA Driver’s License – Required
- Proficiency in Word , Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel – Required
- Valid Passport – Required
- Massachusetts Certified Public Purchasing Official (MCPPO) – Preferred
$100,000- $125,000 depending on experience and qualifications.
Some of your time is expected to be outdoors, and as such you will be exposed to outdoor weather conditions, extremes of heat and cold, moving mechanical parts, toxic chemicals and other dangerous conditions. Travel to other ports, exhibitions and trade shows both regionally and occasionally internationally, will be required. Extended periods at computer, telephone, or operating office machines requiring hand-eye coordination and finger dexterity will also be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
NBOC’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The NBOC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All attempts will be made to distribute this Job Description to minorities, women, disabled individuals, veterans, etc. Accommodations will be made, where possible/ necessary, to support diverse hires in the Executive Director role.
Instructions for Applicants
A cover letter, resume, and professional references are required. All materials shall be emailed to email@example.com.
Applicants should address their cover letter to:
John Bullard, President
New Bedford Ocean Cluster Inc.
1213 Purchase Street
New Bedford, MA 02740
The cover letter and resume should reflect the applicant’s qualifications as set forth in the detailed Job Description. Interviews, reference checks, and job-related tests may be required. Writing samples reflecting the applicant’s qualifications and experience are encouraged. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. The position will remain open until filled. A CORI (Criminal Offender Record Investigation) review will be conducted prior to selection.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the NBOC and the employee and is subject to change as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change over time.